What Is Flood Insurance?
Flood insurance is a specific insurance policy that protects your home from losses due to flooding
Flood insurance is a specific insurance policy that protects your home from losses due to flooding. Flood insurance can include a commercial insurance policy for businesses and a private insurance policy for homes and other non-profit property. When water damages a structure by entering through areas like windows, doors, or holes in the roof, losses are generally not covered by flood insurance. Flood insurance usually covers overflow of inland, tidal, and run-off of surface water.
What Are Flood Zones?
Flood zones are defined by FEMA as land areas where flood water has a 1% chance of encroachment in any given year. Maps of these flood zones are available by doing the following:
- Visiting the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Geo Platform website
- Clicking on “flooding”
- Selecting the national flood hazard layer
- Zooming into your desired area of interest
There are some commercial and private insurance companies in Anaheim, CA. Most policies are written through the National Flood Insurance Program.
When Is a Flood Policy Required?
Any homes or businesses financed and along areas designated as special flood hazard areas, commonly referred to as flood zones, require private and commercial insurance respectively.
Businesses outside of established flood zones are not usually required to carry flood insurance, but the option is recommended at discounted premiums due to the lower inherent risk. Because flood zone maps are constantly being revised and changing due to climatic events and areas developed, it is possible that a property once outside of the designated flood hazard area may need emergency restoration services.
Should You Buy Flood Insurance?
Just because your home is above the special flood hazard elevation does not mean there is no risk of flooding. Remember, a flood zone is defined as an area with a more than 1% chance of flooding in any given year. You should get a private or commercial insurance policy for your property to protect your asset and give yourself some peace of mind.
Anaheim Smoke, Soot and Fire Cleanup
Soot and Smoke Damage Restoration in Anaheim, CA
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Anaheim West will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting.
Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care. For further information on our services, feel free to visit us here.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (714) 533-1989 Se Habla Español
When Storms or Floods hit Anaheim, SERVPRO is ready!
Whenever a storm or flood happens beyond control, we are right behind to help clean up the mess.
SERVPRO of Anaheim West specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Anaheim, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today (714) 533-1989 or contact us online here.
My Flight Was Cancelled During a Storm. Now What?
Three Storm Tips For Dealing With A Flight Cancellation
Few things are as frustrating as a cancelled flight. A cancellation during a storm can be even more stressful. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to help make the situation better. Here are three storm tips for dealing with a flight cancellation.
1. Seek compensation. It is possible that the airline that cancelled your flight will reimburse you for meals, connecting flights and other expenses you may incur as a result of the cancellation. This is up to the airline, but there is no harm in reaching out and seeing what you may be eligible for. Many times you will at least receive rebooking assistance.
2. Skip the rebooking line. You can do this by calling the airline after you learn about your cancelled flight. Even if the airline itself told you that you should get back in line, giving them a call is your best bet when looking for shorter or nonexistent wait times while rebooking your flight.
3. Don’t forget about your home. If you are at or near your home during the cancellation, make sure that it is prepped for a potentially severe storm and that you and your loved ones are able to stay safe in the case of an urgent situation. If you should suffer from any household damage during bad weather, a local Southwest Anaheim, CA, residential storm damage restoration company should be called for cleanup assistance. Some are even available 24 hours each day for emergency needs.
A cancelled flight is frustrating and often feels unfair. Stormy weather can make even the calmest person feel emotional on top of such a disappointment. Follow the advice above to help yourself find the best outcome from such a situation. Remember that reaching out for help - whether it is from restoration technicians or your airline - can really make a difference in the long run.
3 Easy Steps to Cleaning Your Building’s Content After Water Damage
Extracting water is one of the processes SERVPRO uses to get the water off the floor.
Three Easy Methods To Clean Your Items After Water Damage.
Dealing with the aftermath of a flooded company in Southwest Anaheim, CA, is no easy feat, and deciding where to start in the cleanup process can seem like an impossible task. Whether due to a broken pipe or a toilet overflow, flooding can take its toll not only on the building itself, but all the contents within. When you’re waiting on professional help to arrive but you’re hoping to start dry cleaning beforehand to save your belongings, follow these three easy methods for cleaning your items the right way after water damage.
1. Open up the building to get significant airflow moving throughout the space. After you’ve taken safety precautions by shutting off the power and water supply in the property, you can start to open windows and doors to let air circulate. If you’re uncertain about toxins in the water, depending on how the flooding began, it’s wise to put on protective clothing and avoid direct contact with the water.
2. Remove any important electronics, documents, furniture and more to prevent further damage. It’s vital to remove the dire items first, getting them out of any standing water to avoid further saturation. Once they’re safely out of the way of your flooded company, you can start to wipe down items with towels or cloths. Papers can be air-dried, while any furniture or upholstered items probably need dry cleaning to rid them of possible mildew and odors.
3. After a restoration team gives the go ahead, you can finish removing content. Once the qualified water damage repair team has come in to extract all the water, disinfect the area and help complete the drying process alongside you, you can remove and wipe down the remaining content.
Save the Important Things
Don’t let your flooded company in Southwest Anaheim, CA, spell the end of all your belongings. Remember these three easy steps to clean and restore your content as quickly as possible, and get back to normalcy.
An Overview of Mold: Toxicity, Causes and Cleanup
SERVPRO of Anaheim West professionally treated mold in this home and ensured not to spread.
Learn About Mold
The phrase black mold strikes fear in almost every property owner, but it is especially nerve-wracking to business owners because they immediately envision bankruptcy and closed doors. While it’s reasonable to panic when you experience a disaster, if you catch a mold infestation early, then the resulting cleanup and remediation may only cause a minor business interruption, not closure. Also, while certain varieties of mold spur all kinds of anxious feelings, not all mold is toxic. Therefore, to help you control the urge to panic, learn about mold and its inevitable cleanup.
1. What is Mold?
Mold is a fungus, and it grows from small spores that exist almost everywhere. While some mold cleanup crews claim that they can eliminate mold 100 percent, this is not entirely true. Yes, you can remove an infestation, but you can never completely eliminate spores because they move on air currents and will enter your business through windows, doorways and even your clothing.
2. Is It Toxic?
The toxicity of mold is dependent on the species of fungus. Some variations of black mold are harmful while others are no more dangerous than common fungi. Some types will make you ill, and others will only make you sneeze or cough. Essentially, if you find mold in your facility, you should have it tested and seal off the area.
3. What Are the Common Causes?
A moisture problem is the most common cause of colonization. You may have a broken or leaky pipe that you are unaware of, the HVAC system is acting up or the basement in your facility is not vented correctly. Any of these issues and numerous others can lead to excessive moisture and humidity.
4. Can Anyone Handle the Cleanup?
Some mold problems are small enough for anyone to handle. However, most colonies should be treated by a mold remediation specialist in the Anaheim, CA, area to ensure the safety of everyone involved.
Not every mold infestation, even those with black mold, will result in business closure. The truth is that most mold problems can be mitigated, remediated and buildings restored to their former glory with the help of an expert.
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges In Anaheim
Plenty of trucks, high tech equipment, man power and experience to get your commercial property back up to new.
Flooding and water damage events in Anaheim commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Anaheim West
SERVPRO of Anaheim West specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Feel free to see our work crew: Our SERVPRO Family
Seek More information about Commercial Services: Commercial Services
3 Common Sewage Dilemmas and Simple Solutions
Leaking pipes require the help of a professional water restoration team
Simple Solutions for Commonly Occurring Sewage Dilemmas
Sewage setbacks occur in Southwest Anaheim, CA, homes of all shapes and sizes. From studio apartments to large home residences, the need to address sewage problems at some point in your residency is almost a guarantee. When facing a water leak or tricky sewage cleaning question, try out these simple solutions for commonly occurring sewage dilemmas.
1. Overflowing Toilet
A toilet overflow can be a messy plumbing problem that most home residents will have to deal with at one point or another. Start by turning off the water valve at the base of the toilet fixture. Dry up as much water as possible using old rags and towels to prevent serious water damage. Use a good quality plunger to attempt clearing the clog. If your toilet water overflows often, you my have a more serious plumbing problem on your hands. Call a professional plumber to look for more severe issues, including:
- Underground plant-root interreference
- Corroded pipe lines
- Pipe main blockage
2. Slow Draining Sink
Every homeowner has dealt with that one sink that never seems to drain correctly. Even with the stopper completely open, the water seems to stay stagnant in place. Without regular sewage cleaning practices, sinks can acquire buildup leading to a clogged pipe. After most of the water has cleared, try using a drain cleaning solution to break-down waste. A sink snake can also be used to remove hair and large debris that can’t be dissolved by a regular cleaner.
3. Leaky Pipes
Finally, tenants with dripping pipes may find that placing buckets to catch water is no longer working for their living space. If you can locate the source of the leak, attempt repair with drain tape. Over time, leaky pipes can become worse if they are not fixed. Some damage caused by leaks even requires the help of a professional water restoration team.
By tackling these and other sewage dilemmas as they arise, you may prevent more serious water damage repair needs down the road. While sewage cleaning problems may feel like a hassle, these simple solutions are doable first steps that any homeowner can try.
Service Claims Inventory: 3 Processes That Can Assist Insurance Agents After a Natural Disaster
SERVPRO run claims inventory centers that can help you find information through multiple means
Service Claims Inventory
As a Anaheim, CA, insurance agent, you are likely to be swamped with phone calls and claims from business owners in the aftermath of a natural disaster. Some of these calls might come from local business owners whose properties have been damaged and who now need to make an insurance claim. Handling multiple commercial filings can be difficult; however, there are a few helpful services that a storm damage and restoration company can provide for you, including the convenience of a service claims inventory center.
1. Review of Individual Claim Files
When a natural disaster affects many businesses in one area, you may find yourself handling multiple claims with similar circumstances, such as major water damage caused by a flood. Working with a claims inventory center could help you stay organized, as the service professionals review each individual file and ensure all the claim information is updated and accurate. This can also help business owners avoid delays in payment of their claims.
2. Access To Updated Information
The details of an insurance claim may change as new information about damage is discovered. This can be frustrating and delay the process. Working with a claims inventory center gives you instant access to updated claims information so you can stay informed. This may also be helpful if you are assisting other agents in the area and need to get up to speed on a file as quickly as possible.
3. Multiple Filing Lookup Services
Storm damage and mitigation services like SERVPRO run claims inventory centers that can help you find information through multiple means. You can look up a claim by the region, state or by the type of loss the business endured. Being able to access information easily can help you to better serve your insurance customers, even if you are processing multiple claims after a natural disaster.
Assisting your business clients with an insurance claim after a flood or violent storm in Anaheim, CA, can be challenging. However, working with a storm damage company that offers claims inventory services through a national information center may help you do so efficiently.
Watch for Mold Growth in These Five Key Places in Your Home
Mold on window track
Nobody likes to find mold in his or her home in Anaheim, CA. The nasty black stuff, as unpleasant as it may be on its own, is a red flag that there is more going on than meets the eye. By the time enough mold growth is apparent on a wall to be noticed by you, it has usually spread to or come from a number of other places.
The Top 5 Places to Look for Mold in Your Home
Mold likes to hide and get well established before rearing its ugly little head. Check these locations in your home:
1. Mold on wood surfaces hidden from view, such as studs inside a wall or floor joists can or joists, can be a serious problem. It can lead to weakened or soft spots in your floors or walls.
2. Black “stains” coming through your paint are a sign of moldy drywall. The mold can spread and crawl through an expansive area if moisture content is sufficient.
3. Window tracks collect the condensation that runs down the glass during cold weather or when humidity is being produced inside the home from cooking, laundry, or long showers. This moisture can attract molecules of mold from the air, which begin to grow in the moist environment.
4. In your vinyl flooring. Sheet vinyl or linoleum by your tub, toilet, dishwasher, or entry doors is especially susceptible to mold. These areas may frequently become wet as the water seeps in between the sealed outer layers and take weeks to dry out, allowing mold growth. The same is true for cabinet floors beneath sinks.
5. Carpet and furnishings. After flooding of any kind appears in your home, it is important to make sure things get dried out properly to prevent wet fibers and fabrics from developing mold.
Even with all of the precautions in the world mold growth can happen. It is best to call a trained mold remediation specialist in Anaheim, CA, to access the situation and help remove the mold safely, using appropriate equipment and procedures. They can restore your home and give you peace of mind.