Smoke damage in your building
Smoke Damage In Your Building
Fire and smoke damage can happen to anyone. When a fire breaks out in your Anaheim, CA home or business, the professional restoration teams at SERVPRO of Anaheim West are ready to respond with our 24-hour emergency services. We have the training, equipment, and resources to handle any size fire or disaster. Our goal is to return damaged structures back to preloss condition as quickly as possible. However, not all fires are created equal. Smoke damage from burning wood and other materials can cause extensive damage even if just one object catches on fire - this includes a mattress that is left too close to the wall or an unattended candle that ignites another material.
Property damage caused by smoke and soot is not just limited to fires.
Any high-temperature burning process can cause smoke and soot damage in your building. These include dryer vents, wood stoves, cooking appliances, and industrial processes such as refineries and lumber mills.
The types of property damage that occur due to smoke and soot are very similar to those caused by fire:
- Debris from the building structure or interior furnishings may be released into the air during a fire but also during other types of combustion processes (like kitchen fires)
- Soot deposits on surfaces like walls, ceilings, and floors can make them look dirty or discolored, obscuring their true appearance; this may have an adverse impact on the resale value of your property
Regardless of the type of fire or smoke damage, everyone has the same questions about how to fix it as well as deep concerns about how much it will cost them.
Here are a few questions you should keep in mind when dealing with your property insurance company:
- What is the damage?
- Does your policy cover smoke and soot removal? If not, then you may have to hire a professional to do this for you.
- How much will it cost? This can vary widely depending on contractor fees and equipment used, but expect to pay between $1-$10 per square foot ($100-$1,000+).
- What exactly is covered by my policy? Does it cover rebuilding costs after an accidental fire destroys my home? The answer is “maybe”; each policy varies greatly based on several factors including where your home was built (some areas have stricter building codes than others) how old the structure is (older homes tend not only to require more repairs but also possibly increased premiums due to their riskier nature), etcetera...
At SERVPRO of Anaheim West, our technicians use specialized equipment and techniques to remove smoke and soot from ceilings, walls, floors, and contents. We work hard to restore your building back to its preloss condition quickly.
Smoke damage is the result of fire and/or smoke damage. Fire damages the contents of a building, including fabric, wood, and paper products. Smoke damage occurs when heat from a fire causes materials such as ceiling tiles and wallboard to swell or warp. This can cause them to buckle or crumble away from the ceiling joists or studs that support them. The resulting gaps allow smoke, soot, and water vapor to enter your home even through very small spaces.
Smoke can also deposit itself into cracks in drywall, walls, and floors creating an odor problem. When this happens it’s important that we get rid of it before it has time to settle into these areas making removal much more difficult later on down the road if not done right away!
Smoke and soot damages can be extensive even if the fire was small.
Even if the fire was small, smoke and soot can cause extensive damage to your building and its contents.
Smoke from a fire tends to travel along the ceiling, accumulating in voids such as attics, wall cavities, and dropped ceilings as well as within furniture, furnishings, and storage areas. In addition to leaving an unpleasant smell behind, it will also stain surfaces with a black deposit (soot). Soil from ash particles may also fall onto soft furnishings where it can build up unnoticed until you attempt to clean them - this is known as “creosote”.
Smoke and soot damages can be extensive even if the fire was small. At SERVPRO of Anaheim West, our technicians use specialized equipment and techniques to remove smoke and soot from ceilings, walls, floors, and contents. We work hard to restore your building back to its preloss condition quickly. Call us today at 714-533-1989 for help with your smoke damage cleanup!